After a surgical procedure or hospital stay, the words we anticipate hearing most are, “Here are your discharge papers – you’re able to go home now!” What a feeling of relief there is in coming through the front door, sinking into a favorite chair, and relaxing.
However, there are frequently a number of tasks needed for proper healing and recovery and also to prevent a re-hospitalization. For senior loved ones who live alone, as well as for individuals with family support, it can be daunting to sort through all of the post-hospitalization instructions, make follow-up appointments, pick up prescriptions, adjust to any needed dietary or lifestyle changes, and so much more.
This is when a knowledgeable home care agency, like Abby Senior Care is invaluable. We can provide an in-home caregiver in Denver and nearby areas that can help a loved one make a safe transition from hospital to home. Our transitional home care services can start even before discharge to make certain each important detail will be addressed. Working with the hospital’s care team, we can easily develop and implement a recovery plan to include:
- Scheduling follow-up appointments
- Preparing a list of medications, together with any allergies and/or dietary restrictions
- Ensuring the pantry and fridge are stocked with healthy foods
- Establishing physical activity routines
- Arranging for any essential medical equipment to be brought to the home
- Outlining any potential side effects and medical issues
After discharge, we can:
- Provide safe transportation home from the hospital (and to any follow-up medical appointments or procedures)
- Pick up any prescriptions and ensure they are taken exactly as prescribed
- Plan and prepare meals
- Assist with showers, getting dressed, using the toilet, etc.
- Offer companionship for conversations, card games, puzzles, along with other enjoyable activities
- Watch for and report any changes in condition or potential medication side effects
- Take care of light household chores and laundry
- Provide support with walking to prevent falls
- Connect the senior with other local helpful resources
- And so much more
By making use of the professional and compassionate in-home caregivers in Denver and surrounding areas at Abby Senior Care, older adults can decrease the worries that are naturally connected with a hospitalization and focus on obtaining the rest necessary to recover. Not just that, but it enables your loved one to avoid a stay in a rehab facility and to recover where they’re most comfortable: in the home.
If an older adult you love is facing an upcoming surgery, give us a call. We’ll be happy to come visit the senior in the home and start to develop a strategy to ensure a smooth transition home again. We can also perform a home safety evaluation and provide strategies for any changes necessary to prevent falls – a typical and hazardous occurrence after a hospitalization.
Contact Abby Senior Care, the experts in senior services in Denver, CO and surrounding areas, for help and support any time at 303-699-8840. We are here for you, before, during, and after a hospital stay. For a full list of each of the communities we serve, please visit our Service Area page.