Did you ever wake up and realize, from the moment you got out of bed, it was going to be “one of those days?” Perhaps you slept through your alarm, tripped over the dog, and then remembered you were out of coffee. These minor nuisances, however, pale in comparison to what more than half of all adults in the U.S. are facing on a daily basis: life with a long-term health condition.
Whether it is cancer, diabetes, heart disease, dementia, or any one of a number of other serious and debilitating health conditions, simply getting through everyday activities is often a struggle. And not surprisingly, these challenges can make it difficult to maintain a positive outlook on life.
Abby Senior Care, award-winning home care providers in Denver and the surrounding areas, is able to assist in both of these areas. We provide hands-on support with the daily tasks that can become overwhelming, as well as emotional support.
Making Activities of Daily Living Easier to Manage
Think through your own daily routine when you’re at home:
- A morning shower
- Cooking breakfast
- Making the bed
- Taking care of laundry
- Cleaning the house
- Fixing lunch
- Paying bills
- Running to the grocery store as well as other errands
- Organizing a closet
- Planning and making dinner
- Cleaning up again!
- Preparing for bed
Now just imagine attempting to perform all of those tasks while impacted by the side effects of chemotherapy; or while pulling around an oxygen tank; or in the midst of cognitive decline. An in-home caregiver can help with these and other mundane but necessary tasks, freeing up time and energy for the senior to unwind and engage in rewarding pastimes.
Lifting an Older Adult’s Spirits
It’s rather common for an individual battling a long-term health condition to find it hard to maintain a life of joy and to fend off depression. Our caregivers provide friendly companionship that lets older adults know they’re cared for. Through conversations, exercise programs, engaging in hobbies and interests, and just being there to listen when life feels discouraging, a caregiving companion brings a breath of fresh air into everyday life.
The following suggestions can help someone with chronic health conditions to feel positive and hopeful:
- Find a sense of purpose. Having purpose in life is essential to our wellbeing. It’s a matter of helping a senior loved one discover what she or he is passionate about and pursuing that interest. Get creative in brainstorming ideas of how to make life more meaningful: serving others, learning something new, creating a video to document his / her history or life lessons to pass along to a future generation.
- Find reasons to be grateful. An easy but effective way to maximize positivity is by journaling. Encourage the older adult to begin each day by listing a number of things she or he is thankful for: the scent of fresh blueberry muffins baking, the beauty of the sunrise, a planned lunch date with a good friend.
- Find activities outside the home. If at all possible, help the senior enjoy life away from home: a hair or nail appointment, a shopping trip, a visit with family and friends. Even a short walk or time spent on the front porch can be beneficial.
Discover More Ways Home Care Helps
Give Abby Senior Care a call any time at 303-699-8840 for even more helpful tips for a loved one with a long-term health condition. We would also enjoy the opportunity to come and meet with you in the comfort of your home to discuss additional ways that our caregivers can make every day the best it can be for seniors at home. To learn more about our dedicated home care providers in Denver and the surrounding areas, reach out to us today!