You have just learned that Dad will need knee replacement surgery. You’ve heard bits and pieces of what joint replacement surgery could involve from friends, but are you actually ready to help him prepare for the surgery and recuperate safely and fully afterwards?
Millions of people have joint replacement surgery each year. The good news is that even though it can be scary to face, the resulting relief from pain and typically quick recovery will soon have your loved one back on their feet.
Preparing for Joint Replacement Surgery
It can feel overwhelming to try to absorb all of the information the physician will provide prior to the procedure. The best way to make sure you have all of the information you need is by making a list of questions you would like the doctor to answer ahead of time. Even this step can feel stressful, however, but never fear – our care team has put together a list of frequently asked questions for you!
Copy any relevant questions from the list below, and then add in any others you have:
- Are there modifications we need to make now to the home for a safer recovery?
- How long will the surgery last?
- What type of anesthesia is usually used, and are there options available?
- What risks are involved with joint replacement surgery?
- How much pain should be expected after the surgery, and what forms of pain relief are available?
- Will it be necessary to go to a rehab facility for recovery, or can my loved one recover at home with help?
- Is it recommended that my loved one lose weight or make any other changes in lifestyle?
- What type of medical equipment or supplies will be helpful?
- How soon will my loved one have the ability to shower?
- Is it useful to begin practicing walking with a cane or walker before the surgery?
- How long is the typical hospital stay?
- What specific instructions are there for the day of the surgery?
- What exercises can be implemented now to strengthen muscles?
- What results can be expected for someone of my parent’s age and with their specific health conditions?
- When can regular activities be resumed?
- Are there any medications that should be stopped or started ahead of the procedure?
Recovering After Joint Replacement Surgery
Making a plan now for a loved one’s recovery can make the transition home from the hospital smoother and easier. At Abby Senior Care, we’re here to help with post-surgical home care services that relieve some of the stress surrounding a hospitalization. For instance, we are able to:
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to and from the hospital
- Monitor for changes in condition or medication side effects and report them immediately
- Take care of picking up groceries and prescriptions and run any other errands needed
- Assist with transfers and mobility, showers/baths, and other personal care needs to decrease the chance of a fall
- Offer companionship for conversations and enjoyable pastimes during recovery
- Prepare nutritious meals
- Take care of light housekeeping and laundry
- Encourage participation in physician-approved exercise and provide transportation to PT appointments
- Provide medication reminders so meds are taken exactly as prescribed
- And more
You can reach us any time at 303-699-8840 or via our online contact form to learn more about how we can ease a surgical procedure before, during, and after for someone you love. Our services are available throughout Arvada, Littleton, Aurora, and the surrounding areas. Visit our Service Area page to see if we’re available to help in your area.