“I’m going to force myself to run three miles each day.”
“I’m going to clean the bathrooms more frequently.”
“I’m going to eat more celery and less chocolate.”
Do your New Year’s resolutions feel more like punishment than positivity? If that’s the case, resolve to make 2024 the year you set some goals you’ll look forward to keeping! If you need a little inspiration to help you get started, consider the following:
Positive Resolutions for Family Caregivers
- Take notice of your inner dialogue. Nip any self-directed words of negativity in the bud. If you realize you are silently berating yourself for losing your patience, stop and remind yourself that you’re a loving, selfless, and devoted caregiver for the person you love. Because of you, they are able to continue living at home and enjoy the best possible quality of life. Think about the way you would encourage a friend in your shoes, and turn that encouragement inward.
- Let go of what you cannot control. So much of the time we spend worrying is the result of things that are beyond our control. Give yourself permission to step back and remind yourself that you are human, and there will be situations you can’t resolve and problems you can’t fix.
- Strive to find the bright side. There are certainly challenges and difficulties with caring for an older loved one. However, there are also a lot of positives to focus on instead. Rather than fret about the inclement weather that changed your plans, settle in to watch some home movies and reminisce over a cup of comforting cocoa.
- Care for yourself. You spend a great deal time taking care of others. Set time aside each day to do something kind, just for you. This could be as simple as a bubble bath before bed, a quick run to your favorite coffee shop, or designated time each day to curl up under a cozy quilt and read.
- Accept help. Let this be the year that you realize caring for someone you love is a job that’s much more effective when shared. Let friends and family know that you’d like some support, and allow them to step in to help with meals, housework, laundry, running errands – whatever would alleviate stress and allow you to achieve a healthier life balance.
At Abby Senior Care, we are here to help make these and any other New Year’s resolutions a real possibility! Our caregivers are fully trained and experienced in a wide variety of care needs, and can partner with you to:
- Offer friendly companionship for an older loved one, including engaging conversations, puzzles, games, exercise, hobbies, and more
- Pick up groceries and run any other errands as needed
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to procedures and medical appointments or fun outings
- Help with light housekeeping, laundry, changing bed linens, etc.
- Plan and prepare nutritious, delicious meals
- And so much more
From the Abby Senior Care family to yours, Happy Holidays and all the very best in the new year!